Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Journal Question: What type of behavior management plan would you use in the development of a positive and productive learning environment? Follow that explanation up by describing a situation where you had to manage a particularly difficult student.

There are many different types of behavioral management plans that I have been taught and have used throughout my undergraduate studies at WVU.  The one that I have chosen to use in my student teaching placement is similar to a token economy.  In some classrooms students have slips or cards, where if they misbehave than there card or slip gets moved down, however if they do well then they receive a move up or some form of praise.  In my PE classroom I will extend the teachers system so that way it doesn’t confuse the student and it is easy for them to understand.  Basically at the end of class I will let the homeroom teacher know what students are good and what are bad, and if need be which card or slips to move and in what direction.  This behavioral management plan fosters a positive and productive learning environment because the students know what is expected of them and what they should and shouldn’t do while in the classroom.  Another type of behavioral management plan that the school I’m at has adopted is called C.A.R.E.  CARE stands for cougars act responsible every day.  This policy I one the school has adopted and it works well as a behavioral management plan.  Anytime a student is acting up or out they will receive a care form.  This form will then be given to the principal and they then decide the punishment for the students.  This is another behavioral management plan that works well in my placement.
In my student teaching placement there have been many students that like to act up or disrupt the class.  One in particular student though is the most disrupting.  He comes into class running, when he’s suppose to walk, he yells, screams, always is touching other students, and very rarely ever does what he is told.  Today however he got extremely out of control; he wasn’t doing what I asked so I sat him out for a couple minutes.  Then he continued to act out even while in timeout, so I kept him there longer and told him if he did not stop I would give him a CARE form and send him to the office.  Well he then just laughed and said okay send me to the office.  Well I got lucky today because the local police were in the school talking to 2nd grade classes, so when I went to take him to the office, I told him that if he continues to act out the police are here in the school and they can take you.  As soon as I mentioned the police he straightened right up and was an angel for the rest of class and even volunteered to help clean up.  I know the police are not part of my behavioral management plan, however they worked great with this particular student and I don’t anticipate I will have any more problems with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment